Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
We care for patients with infectious diseases.
Service areas include:
- infectious diseases including returned travellers and tropical infectious diseases
- Hospital in the Home (HITH) IV antibiotic outpatient service
- HIV (in collaboration with Clinical Immunology)
- sexual health (in collaboration with the Sexual Health Clinic)
- viral hepatitis (in collaboration with Hepatology/Multidisciplinary Liver Group)
- Multidisciplinary Foot Ulcer Clinic (in collaboration with Endocrinology and Podiatry)
- Mycobacterial diseases (including Hansen’s disease) and migrant health
- infection control and staff occupational health and safety.
We are very active in both clinical and laboratory-based research, and we are accredited by the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (external site) for advanced training in Infectious Diseases and by the Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia College (external site) for advanced training in Clinical Microbiology.
We also offer an active Antibiotic Stewardship Program.