Elective surgery refers to non-emergency surgery that is medically necessary, but which can be delayed for at least 24 hours.
If you have been scheduled for surgery, and placed on the elective surgery waiting list, the following information will assist you to understand the process.
Location for surgery
The elective surgery you require may not be available at your closest hospital or health service.
The South Metropolitan Health Service (SMHS) provides health care to people living in the south metropolitan area at any one of the following hospitals or health services:
Your surgery will be scheduled at the most appropriate location to ensure you receive your surgery in the best possible time.
While you wait for your surgery
There are a number of important actions you should take while you wait for your surgery. These are:
- follow the procedures and advice of the hospital, including how to stay as fit and well as possible for surgery
- advise the hospital of your acceptance of the proposed admission date
- attend any pre-admission clinics arranged for you
- arrive at the hospital on the confirmed admission date and time.
Please contact the hospital if:
- your contact details change
- you no longer wish to have or require the surgery
- your personal circumstances change and may require you to cancel or defer your surgery
- you are on another public hospital waiting list for a different elective surgery procedure.
Please note: declining surgery on two occasions or failing to attend a scheduled appointment without providing notice may result in your removal from the elective waitlist.
Your GP can help
While you wait for your surgery it is important to keep your regular appointments with your GP. Your GP will help:
- keep you fit and well in preparation for your surgery
- contact the hospital if there is any change in your condition.
For more information on the elective surgery process download the brochure and frequently asked questions.
For information on your admission to Royal Perth Hospital visit the For patients & visitors section on the website